Address: Cathedral House, 11 The Precincts, Canterbury, Kent CT1 2EH
Phone: 01227 762862
St Augustine, sent by Pope Gregory the Great, arrived in 597AD as a missionary and became the first Archbishop, establishing his seat (or ‘Cathedra’) in Canterbury. In 1170 Archbishop Thomas Becket was murdered in the Cathedral and ever since, the Cathedral has attracted thousands of pilgrims, as told most famously in Geoffrey Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales.
The Cathedral houses a Romanesque Crypt, dating back to the 11th century, a 12th century early Gothic Quire and a 14th Century Perpendicular Nave. Beautiful medieval stained glass windows illustrate miracles and stories associated with St Thomas.
Visitor facilities range from guided tours and audio tours to private evening tours and ‘behind the scenes’ tours to the Stained Glass Studio, Archives and/or Library.
The Cathedral is very much part of the local community. It is used regularly for local, regional and/or national services and events. Some or all of it may, therefore, at times be closed for general visiting. Please contact the Cathedral Visits Office before visiting to check up-to-date opening times and possible closures.